Penang Global Ethic
4 Feb to 10 Mar 2006
Details of Virtual Tour
Religions Walk, Penang
at the Penang Museum on Lebuh Farquhar and continue down Jalan Masjid
Kapitan Keling to Lebuh Cannon
guided tours, contact:
Penang Heritage Trust
Tel: 604-264 2631
Fax: 604-262 8421
This is the
starting point of the World Religions Walk. The Penang Museum offers
a good introduction to the culture and social history of Penang.
9am-6pm. Closed on Fridays.
Church of the Assumption
Catholic church in Penang, formed in 1786 by the Eurasians of southern
Thailand and Kedah. The church building dates from 1860. The church
was elevated to the Cathedral of the Diocese of Penang in 1955.
St. George's Church
Anglican Church in Southeast Asia. The building dates from 1818
and was designed by Captain Robert Smith of Madras Engineers, who
painted the famous early views of Penang. The Anglicans follow the
traditions developed by the Church of England.
8 LEBUH PENANG
shrine dedicated to the Hindu goddess Durga is managed by a Gujarati
family and caters to the North Indian Hindu community. Housed in
Straits Chinese townhouse, it is the
centre of the ten-day Navarithri festival
held annually in October/November.
Kuan Yin Temple
JALAN MASJID KAPITAN KELING
The Kuan Yin
Temple is a Chinese temple dedicated to the Goddess of Mercy, an
incarnation of the Boddhisatva Avaloekiteshvera. On the 1st and
15th of each lunar month, devotees observe a vegetarian diet and
offer joss-sticks at the temple. The temple hosts Chinese opera
and puppet shows during the three annual feast days on the 19th
day of the second, sixth and ninth month of the lunar calender.
Maha Mariamman Temple
temple, dedicated to the Hindu goddess Sri Maha Mariamman, was built
in 1833. Historically, it catered to the Tamil community of traders
and stevedores originating from South India. The temple is the focus
of two annual festivals, Thaipusam in January/ February and Chitraparuam
in April/ May.
Teochew Association (Hang Kang Kah Meow) was built in 1870, by the
Chinese originating from Teochew (Chaozhou), in southern China.
It is a temple dedicated to the Teochew community's patron deity
and ancestors. Teochew opera and music are occasionally
Sufi shrine is dedicated to the 13th century saint of Nagore who
is buried in Tamilnadu, South India. In the side alcove is an Indian
Muslim maker of songkok or Muslim headgear.
JALAN MASJID KAPITAN KELING
was founded by Kapitan Keling Cauder Mohudeen, leader of the Tamil
Muslim community, on trust lands endowed by the East India Company
in 1801. The mosque parishioners are Sunni Muslims, of both Shafie
and Hanafi schools. Sermons are conducted in Malay and Tamil. The
present Moghul revival look, circa 1910, was designed by the German
Eurasian architect, Henry Alfred Neubronner.
The Yap clan
hails from Hokkien (Fujian) province in southern China and the temple
is dedicated to the clan's ancestors and patron deities. Next to
the temple is the ancestral hall, dating from 1924, designed by
the Straits Chinese architect Chew Eng Eam.
The Khoo clan
hails from Hokkien (Fujian) province in southern China and this
1906 temple is dedicated to the clan's ancestors 116 & 118 and
patron deities. Established in 1851, the clanhouse complex is reputed
to be the most magnificent in Southeast Asia. It comprises a temple,
theatre stage, association building, museum and former clan dwellings
all sited around a temple square.
Masjid Melayu Lebuh Acheh or Malay Mosque,
the parishioners follow the Shafie school and sermons are conducted
in Malay. The mosque and trust lands were endowed in 1808 by Tengku
Syed Hussain Al-Idid, who became the Sultan of Aceh. Sheikh Omar
Basheer, the famous 19th century Naqshabandi Sufi leader, lived
at No. 69 Lebuh Aceh in the mosque compound.
128 LEBUH ARMENIAN
showcases the history of Muslims in Penang. It is housed in a heritage
bungalow known as the Syed Alatas Mansion. Syed Mohamed Alatas stayed
here with his first wife, a Malay royal, while his second wife was
the daughter of Khoo Tiang Poh, a Straits Chinese pepper merchant
and leader of the Khoo clan.
116 & 118 LEBUH ACHEH
building was formerly the medical clinic of Dr. Ong Huck Chye, a
Municipal Commissioner and prominent Straits Chinese leader in the
1930s. Today, it is the premises of the Penang Heritage Centre,
established by the Penang state government to promote heritage awareness